Automated educational system (AES) is designated to prepare specialists with a degree in “Oil and gas well drilling”
To work AES need virtual reality system HTC VIVE.
The AES includes four educational units and two simulators.
- Tasks for drilling rigs.
- Tasks concerning rigging-up and rigging-down.
- Top drive system studies.
- Studying drilling tools and instruments.
- VR-simulator for drilling and tripping processes.
- VR-simulator for detection and killing of gas, water or oil kicks.
The first unit contains demonstrational and examination tasks for the following drilling rigs:
- “BU 2500/160”,
- “BU 2900/200”,
- “BU 3900” with top drive system “PVEG-225”,
- “BU 4000/250” with top drive system DQ50BQ-JH,
- “BU 4500/270” with top drive system Bentec TD-350-HT,
- “USPK BU-320” with top drive system Bentec TD-350-HT,
- “BU 5000/320” with top drive system “EChR320”,
- “BU 6500/450” with top drive system Bentec TD-500-HT,
- ZJ-40 with top drive system TESCO,
- ZJ-50DBS with top drive system Varco TDS-9SA.
Tasks for each drilling rig are grouped into two divisions:
- about drilling rig,
- safe work on the drilling rig.
In the “About drilling rig” division, there are two types of tasks.
- Tour around the drilling rig. A trainee finds himself inside the realistic virtual model in a role of a supervisor and can “walk around” the drilling rig and take a close look at its technological objects.
- Equipment of drilling rig. Using the virtual model the learner can study the functional components of the drilling rig, its basic systems and units and identify its most important technological objects. A trainee can select any object (circulation system, pumping unit, driller’s cabin, slips, etc.), get full information and take a close look at this object.
In the “Safe work on the drilling rig” division, there are demonstrational and examination tasks to acquire and check the safe operation skills needed during the drilling and round-trip operations:
- double stands lowering,
- connecting the TDS with drill pipe,
- starting the drilling after drill-pipe connection,
- drilling completion,
- disconnecting the TDS from the drill pipe,
- double stands lifting,
- drilling string assembly: lifting the first drill collar and its installation into the rotary table,
- drilling string assembly: connecting the drill collar,
- laydown of pipes.
The virtual model shows a trainee all the working operations with detailed comments as well as the condition of the control elements and other devices, giving the image of the process from any point.
The second educational unit contains demonstrational and examination tasks for systematic review and interactive assessment of knowledge in rigging-up and rigging-down of drilling rigs using the virtual models of three rigs (“USPK BU-320”, ZJ-40, “BU 5000”) with detailed comments.
The third unit is made in the form of a training room that is used by a trainee to study the design of various top drive systems (2D/3D-models with indication of elements, etc.), their working principles (animation, partial management), and gain additional information about the TDS elements:
- Bentec TD-350-HT,
- Canrig 6027E-939,
- Varco TDS-9SA,
- Tesco 350 EXI 600,
- Drillmec HTD-250,
The fourth educational unit introduces a trainee to general drilling equipment and tools used in the process of well drilling. This unit contains scalable interactive pages with animated 2D/3D-graphics and navigation that dynamically explain the design of the drilling rig and its tools, its working principle, classification, and additional reference information about the elements of the rig.
VR-simulator for drilling and tripping processes allows you to perform a practical action from the cab of the rig, to control the drilling and tripping processes. For the role of assistant driller implemented demonstration and execution of operations of screwing and unscrewing drill pipes with a spinning wrench. Virtual drill simulator allows you to increase the effectiveness of training specialists for the selected model of the rig.
VR-simulator for detection and killing of gas, water or oil kicks on the virtual model of the drilling rig allows you to work out practical actions in the role of “one for all” on the following tasks:
- well shut-in after detecting the kick while drilling,
- driller's method.
The simulator makes the task implementation process fully automated providing training to any number of trainees. This goal is attained by:
- using the automated system of knowledge control (ASKC) “Razvitie” that provides centralized work of teachers and trainees at their working places (WP) with problem solving and getting results;
- providing automated adaptive scale control for “slow” processes (pumping fluid, solution preparation, etc.) while performing tasks;
- providing automated final evaluation of tasks by the scale from 0 to 100 on the basis of penalty criteria with detail report for the teacher.
Using the initial data a teacher can make his own tasks with various parameters (well, equipment and control parameters, etc.).
The result is delivered to the teacher’s WP in a form of detailed report, which contains charts, time lines, notifications, mistakes, and final evaluation. A trainee can also see his own result as a brief report delivered to his WP.
The AES also includes the computer simulator “Detection and killing of gas, water or oil kicks”.